As said by Marham today, with the evolution of humankind, Man is facing many diseases. Even after the advancement of science, there are some common diseases we face in our daily routines. This article will discuss one of the common diseases known as “Sore throat,” which accounts for more than 13 million visits to doctors and physicians per annum.
What is a Sore throat?
Sore throat is a disease that causes a sensation of pain in the throat and causes dryness or scratchy feeling in a person suffering from such a disease. It may irritate the throat that may worsen when a person swallows something.
Symptoms of Sore throat:
Symptoms of sore throat may vary upon the types of the sore throat a person may face. But some of the common symptoms may be listed as follows:
- The most common symptom is a pain in the throat. The pain intensifies as the extent of sore throat is increased.
- Redness and swelling of the throat are also seen in many patients suffering from sore throat.
- Difficulty in swallowing even the saliva is one of the common symptoms of sore throat since it may cause swelling.
- There are also white patches of pus as seen upon the person’s tonsils having a sore throat.
- Pain or stiffness in neck and earache.
- The voice of the person may also be silenced or raspy.
- Some other symptoms that may be seen in persons having sore throat may include fever, swollen neck, nausea, vomiting, headache, body aches, etc. Swollen lymph nodes may also be seen in some cases.
Basic types and causes of Sore throat:
The types of sore throat may vary upon the type of infection, causative agent, and area of infection
Some basic types of sore throat are listed as:
- Pharyngitis: Often caused by Group a Streptococcus Bacteria. Less often, some bacterial diseases such as gonorrhea or chlamydia may also cause pharyngitis.
- Tonsillitis: The swollen tonsils, often caused by some bacterial and viral infections.
- Laryngitis: the painful swelling of the larynx or voice box often caused by the viral infection. It may be acute or chronic.
Sore throat in children:
Children are most often exposed to sore throats since their immune system of children is weak. Therefore, the parents must know about the primary symptoms to start and control early painful throat-related diseases. Some of the common signs may include:
- Excessive salivation.
- Difficulty in swallowing or breathing.
- Difficulty in fully opening the mouth.
- Having recurring fever without any particular reason.
However, if you encounter such signs in your child, there may exist a possibility that your child is exposed to a sore throat, and you should go to see a pediatrician.
Home remedies to cure sore throat:
Most of the time, a sore throat may leave on its own. But, the home remedies may boost up the going of sore throat. Some home remedies which may be seen effective are as follows:
- Using saline nose drops helps to get rid of blocked noses.
- There is also a need to rest your voice until the throat feels better.
- Increasing the amount of liquid consumption to stay hydrated.
- Gargling with a mixture of 1 tablespoon of salt in water is also effective to soothe the pain in the throat.
- Using warm liquids such as hot tea with honey, warm water with lemon, hot chocolate milk, etc.
- Using throat lozenges may also help to feel good in such a condition.
Sore throat and medicines:
Since most of the sore throat is spread because of bacterial infection, antibiotics may also be seen as effective. But using antibiotics should be done by the prescription of a physician only. However, using other medicines can relieve pain and may also be seen as potent against sore throat. These medicines may include paracetamol, ibuprofen, aspirin, cough syrup, etc.
Child with a sore throat and Covid-19:
People are asking that is the sore throat a symptom of Covid. Usually, the Covid-19 has the symptom of flu, fever, loss of taste and smell but bad throat is not a symptom of Covid-19.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sore throat:
What is the fastest cause of Sore throat?
The fastest reason to have a sore throat is viral infection. Some bacteria’s are also the reason of sore throat but the viruses are the main reason.
What is the fastest way to relief sore throat?
The fastest way for this pain is having the salt in warm water.
Can I have ice-cream if I have sore throat?
The cold things such as ice creams relief the inflammation of the throat but you must take the little amount of ice-cream.
Can hot meal will increase my pain if I have sour throat?
Yes, having the hot meals or liquids cause the inflammation of the throat muscles.
The sore throat is a worse feeling especially if a child is facing such a problem. You have to take care about it as soon as possible because this may be a symptom of any other disease. To solve such problems, Marham.pk has a great team of doctors from all over the Pakistan and you can have the appointment with best ENT specialist doctors of throat easily at one appointment.